This hearty, seasonal pie is perfect for those cold, blustery evenings. This recipe serves 6, so there’s enough to feed the whole family (with enough leftover for seconds). The leeks and mushrooms are sautéed in Dromona Butter, to create a delicious, savoury flavour. Coupled with tender chunks of chicken and a golden pastry top, this mouth-watering pie is a winner.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
What you'll need:
You will need a large ovenproof dish (roughly 33cm x 23cm)
Oven temperature 200°C (180°C fan) / Gas Mark 6.
- 25g Dromona butter
- 1 large leek, finely sliced
- 250g mixed mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 30g plain flour
- 400ml hot chicken stock
- 100ml double cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 350g cooked chicken, cut into chunks
- 125g baby spinach leaves
- 150g Dromona Mature Cheddar, grated
- A small handful of chives, finely chopped
- Freshly milled salt and black pepper
For the pastry crust
- 100g Dromona butter, melted
- 8 – 10 sheets of filo pastry
Made for sharing:
Remove it from the oven and admire that beautiful golden finish! Hear the crisp crunch of the pastry as you spoon it out. Don’t forget to share your snaps of this delicious winter warmer before it’s all gone #GreatFoodMoments
How it's done:
- Melt butter in a medium pan over a low heat and fry the leeks until soft, then add mushrooms and continue to fry until golden.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, then gradually add the stock, stirring constantly until the sauce is smooth. Reduce the temperature and simmer for 10 minutes until thick.
- Stir in double cream, mustard, cooked chicken, spinach, cheese, chives and season.
- Preheat the oven.
- Unroll the filo pastry and cover with a clean, damp tea-towel.
- Lay a single sheet of filo onto a board and brush with a little melted butter. Roughly scrunch up the pastry and arrange on top of the pie, repeat until the top of the pie is covered.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the filo pastry is golden.