Ready to eat in under an hour, this no-fuss lasagne is filled with big flavours and topped with irresistibly melted Dromona Cheddar. Why not bake ahead and freeze for those prep-free midweek meals!
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Total time: 50 mins
What you'll need:
Serves 6 – 8 people
You will need a large shallow casserole or oven proof pan, roughly 32cm in diameter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek, washed, trimmed and finely chopped
2 carrots, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
750g lean steak mince
500ml tomato passata
60g tomato paste
1 pinch chilli flakes
250ml beef stock
400g fresh lasagne sheets, cut in half diagonally
Freshly milled salt and pepper
For the cheese sauce
50g Dromona butter
50g plain flour
200g Dromona grated mature cheddar
Made for sharing:
Serve with some crunchy coleslaw and enjoy dipping your crusty bread into the rich, meaty sauce. Take a picture of your masterpiece before the spoons start to dig in, so you can share your #GreatFoodMoments
How it's done:
- Heat olive oil in a large casserole over medium-high heat and fry the onion, leeks and carrots for 5 minutes until soft, then add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Stir in steak mince, breaking up with a wooden spoon and cook for 5 minutes until brown.
- Stir in passata, tomato paste, chilli flakes and stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for 5 minutes.
For the cheese sauce
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then add flour, stirring continuously until a paste forms – this is called a roux. Gradually whisk milk to the roux, whisking until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes, continuing to stir until the sauce has thickened, then stir in half of the cheese.
- Preheat an oven to 180oC / 160oC (Fan) / Gas mark 4.
- Remove two thirds of the meat sauce from the casserole to a large bowl.
- Spread the remaining third over the base of the casserole and arrange a layer of fresh lasagne sheets on top. Pour over one third of the cheese sauce. Repeat twice, finishing with cheese sauce and sprinkle with remaining grated cheddar. Bake in a hot oven for 35 minutes until golden.
- Serve with crisp salad and crusty bread