The smokey BBQ deliciousness combined with tender chicken and luscious melted cheese has made the quesadilla one of Mexico’s most beloved culinary gifts to the world. This recipe adds in chorizo for texture and flavour, paired with an unmissable guacamole, so invite three cheese-loving friends over and treat them to this classic.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
What you'll need:
Your shopping list:
- 75g Dromona Mature cheddar
- Olive oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow pepper
- ½ tsp BBQ seasoning
- 4 flour tortillas
- 55g tomato salsa
- 60g chorizo
- 2 onions
And for the guacamole:
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- Fresh coriander
Made for sharing:
Have fun with this one – it’s a chance make something that looks perfect when it’s a little bit messy! Any time you treat your family and friends to this magnificent Mexican meal, just remember that the occasion deserves a photo. So, be sure to share your #greatfoodmoments.
How it's done:
- Bring the summer inside! Switch on the hob and get those pans lined up. You’ll need a couple of mixing bowls at the ready.
- Slice the yellow pepper and add it along with the chicken and a dash of olive oil to a bowl. Mix in the BBQ seasoning and make sure everything is nicely coated.
- Put some oil on the pan and cook your chicken mix for 15 minutes, turning occasionally. If you’re feeling fancy, use a griddle pan or BBQ instead, the peppers will have char marks that remind you of summer evening banquets.
- While that’s cooking, mash together the avocado flesh, lime juice and a handful of freshly chopped coriander in a separate bowl.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred it into bite-size chunks. Nice and simple step there!
- Roughly slice the chorizo and onions, and grate the Dromona Mature Cheese (or buy a pre-grated pack to save yourself the hassle).
- Start building! Lay down the first tortilla and add a layer of salsa (around 2 tbsp). Top with half of the chicken, pepper, chorizo, onions and grated cheese. Add another tortilla, give it a press. Hey, presto! It’s ready to cook.
- Repeat the assembly with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Let’s cook! Line the second pan with a little Dromona butter and cook the quesadillas for 1-2 minutes on each side until the tortillas are crispy and the cheese is so magically melted that you can no longer resist.
- Slice, serve with the guacamole, and get stuck in!