This family favourite is the perfect comfort food. It’s extra cheesy, extra tasty and perfect for any time of day. We’ve put together this simple 10-step recipe with some added bacon for a rich, smokey kick! Serve it bubbling and hot for a heart-warming feed.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
What you'll need:
- Olive oil
- 25g Dromona butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 5 garlic cloves
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 300g dry macaroni
- 130g Dromona Mature Cheddar
- 6 streaky smoked bacon rashers
- Handful tomatoes
- Dash of Worcester sauce
Made for sharing:
There you have it. The unmistakable home comfort of mouth-watering Mac & Cheese. Give it a try or mix things up with your own unique touch and share your #greatfoodmoments.
How it's done:
- Get everything switched on: a large pan of water with a pinch of salt on the hob, oven preheating to 200℃ and saucepan at the ready. You’ll want to grate all of that delicious cheese now. Or save yourself some time and pick up a pack of our Grated Cheddar. Try your best not to nibble at it too much while you prepare everything.
- Chop up the bacon, heat up some oil in the pan and let it sizzle until the bacon is cooked right through. Not too crispy – it’s going in the oven later. Once it’s ready, leave to one side.
- Melt the Dromona Butter in the saucepan over a low heat. This is the base of your sauce and what makes it nice and rich. Throw in the flour, turn the heat up to medium and get stirring. Very soon, it’ll be a thick roux.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves, fire them into your roux and keep stirring until things get sticky. Splash by splash, add the milk to the mix, whisking gently as you go. Bring it to the boil, then leave it to simmer. Give it a stir every minute or two.
- Add the macaroni to the large pan of now-boiling water and let it cook, stirring occasionally. Don’t forget to check on the sauce and give it a stir, too!
- While everything’s cooking along nicely, now’s a good time to chop your tomatoes. Nothing fancy, just a quick slice and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and add everything into the white sauce in the pan – macaroni, tomatoes, bacon and, of course, your grated Dromona Mature Cheddar. Give the mixture a good stir – it’ll be thick, engage those shoulders! For some added crunch later on, save a small handful of cheese.
- If you haven’t got a deep enough pan, or yours isn’t ovenproof, you’ll need to put everything into an ovenproof tray or pan.
- If you’re a fan, go for a dash of Worcestershire sauce. If not, sorry we mentioned it. Either way, make sure the mixture isn’t too thick. Add a little water if needed.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes and let the seductive aroma fill your kitchen. For some extra crunch and colour on top, sprinkle the last helping of cheese on top – if it hasn’t disappeared – and grill for 3-5 minutes.
- Lift out your perfect mac and cheese, serve with a nutritious salad and enjoy. If you’re feeling especially generous, tear yourself a piece of crunchy bread to help soak up that thick, creamy sauce at the end!