Let every day feel like Sunday with this lamb shoulder feast. It’s a hearty recipe that will feed 8 to 10 people, so invite your loved ones round and spend quality time together over this wholesome family classic, with the meaty flavour brought out with juicy melted Dromona butter.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 3 hours
- Total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
What you'll need:
For the lamb:
- Olive oil
- 2kg shoulder of lamb
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 4 bay leaves
For the butter:
- 60g Dromona butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon small capers
- 2 handfuls fresh mint
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- 100g pomegranate seeds
Made for sharing:
As the lamb soaks up the juicy garlic butter, mouths will be watering and tummies will be growling for this great food moment! We’d love to see how you get on with the recipe, so please keep sharing your #greatfoodmoments.
How it's done:
- Make it easy for yourself: Start off by getting everything laid out and ready. Heat the oven to 220°C
- Lamb first. Using a sharp knife, cut shallow slits in the lamb. Slice 4 garlic cloves into thin strips and push a piece into each of the slits. Tear the rosemary sprigs and add them in, too.
- Rub a little oil all over the lamb, then season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Peel the onions and chop into quarters. Add them along with the bay leaves and any remaining rosemary into a large baking tray. Set the lamb on top and roast in the hot oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lamb and lower the oven temperature to 160°C. Pour 1 litre of hot chicken stock into the baking tray, wrap lightly with foil, then return to the oven for 2.5 – 3 hours. Once it’s done, remove from the oven and leave to one side while you prepare the butter.
- Time to add some flavour! Put a small saucepan on the hob and gently melt 60g of Dromona butter.
- Peel and crush 2 garlic cloves, then add to the butter along with the crushed anchovies and cook for a minute.
- Chop the capers, mint and coriander. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in all three chopped ingredients.
- Transfer the lamb to a serving platter, drizzle with the golden warm butter.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve with your choice of veggies and roasties!